Friday, February 20, 2009

Graffiti Collage

For this week's assignment, I decided to create a collage based upon the idea of graffiti/art in today's society.

Art has become so relevant to our every day lives, that it is hard to believe that it may have been frowned upon at one point in time. What seems to be a work of art in the year 2009 is much different than what one might have found in the 1930's or 40's. Since my blog has primarily covered the several murals located through Philadelphia, I decided to use my current knowledge of Photoshop to create a "faux" mural.



When beginning this piece, the starting point was of a photograph of a bare wall of what seemed to be an abandoned building. Since the meaning behind certain murals is to create beauty out of something that would otherwise be an eyesore in society, I chose to use certain photographs of street graffiti to decorate the bland palette of the wall.



I used the following photograph of random graffiti to cover the bare walls of the background photograph.

I then added a photograph of an older woman from what seems to be the 40's. Since the art upon on the wall would most likely NOT be found in her time period, I thought she had an appropriate expression on her face. She has a look of what seemed to me to be of disapproval and disgust. Older generations most likely look down upon graffiti thinking that it is a way of violating a particular structure. It is somewhat hard for them to see the expressionism and passion behind some public displays of art.


I chose to add the young boy as a symbol of artistic youth within today's generation.


I used the quick selection tool to remove the motorcycle from the following photograph.



I also opted to include a piece of street art created by one of my absolute favorite artists, Miss Van. The cartoonish woman at the top left of the wall is one of her "girls" that she is known for painting all over the world. Many artists have tried to replicate her style, but few have come close to recreating her sense of dark sexuality that she includes in her pieces.


All in all, I had a fun time putting everything into this assignment. It allowed me to experiment with selection tools, hue/saturation adjustments. etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment